Chemicals protect you when they’re used correctly in your pool or spa, but they may be hazardous if mishandled, improperly stored or contaminated.
Swimming pool and spa sanitizers and oxidizers are very active chemical agents and they must be stored, handled and treated with respect, care and common sense.
Read all labels carefully and follow directions precisely. NEVER MIX CHEMICALS TOGETHER. Chemical reactions, toxic fumes, explosions or a fire may occur. Add each chemical to pool water separately.
All chlorine is not the same. Never mix two chlorine products from different containers regardless of their similarities. If label instructions call for mixing or diluting with water, use a clean dry container and NEVER ADD WATER TO CHEMICALS; always add chemicals to the water. Always use a separate clean scoop when measuring chemicals. DO NOT interchange scoops or place a wet scoop back in any chemical container.
Never mix chemical products in automatic feeders. When adding products through skimmer, be sure only one product is added at a time.
Rinse out EMPTY bags of shock or containers of chemicals in pool water; it gets the full value of the product in your pool, and cleans residual chemicals from the container. Always hold and open chemical containers in a well-ventilated area with lid or cap pointed away from your face. Avoid breathing fumes and avoid letting chemicals contact eyes, nose, mouth or skin.
Always keep chemical containers closed when not in use. Do not smoke around chemicals. Some fumes can be highly flammable. Pool and spa sanitizers and oxidizers can be ignited by a lighted cigarette or match.
Use exact quantities specified, never more.
Do not overdose.
NEVER LET CHILDREN HANDLE, MEASURE OR DISPENSE CHEMICALS.
Do not allow chemicals to stay in your car for a long period of time. Unload and store them as soon as you get home. Brace liquids from tipping over while in car.
Never store household cleaners, detergents, bleaches, paints, oils, greases, waxes, solvents, ammonia, fertilizers or gasoline near the pool sanitizers and oxidizers. All of these household chemicals are incompatible with pool sanitizers and oxidizers and, if they accidentally mix together, could cause a chemical reaction that will give off irritating, toxic or noxious fumes, or result in a fire or explosion.
Store chemicals in a cool, dry and well-ventilated space. Keep chemicals away from heaters or open flames. Do not smoke in storage areas or when handling chemicals. Pool and spa sanitizers and oxidizers can be ignited by a lighted cigarette or match.
Separate sanitizers and oxidizers from each other and from other chemicals with:
- Solid Shelving
- Solid Vertical partitions
- Large Open Space
- Separate Larege container or bins
- Intervening inert materials (sand, diatomaceous earth, etc)
Never store liquids directly above sanitizers and oxidizers. They may accidentally leak and contaminate packaging of sanitizers.
Many pool and spa sanitizers and oxidizers are corrosive, so don’t store them near metal products like bicycles, lawn mowers, cars, etc., because they may cause rust.
Here’s how to handle them quickly and safely. When any pool and spa sanitizer or oxidizer material spills: Be sure that no contaminant is present. Some common contaminants are household cleaners, detergents, bleaches, paints, oils, greases, waxes, solvents, ammonia, fertilizers, gasoline or kerosene. If a contaminant is present, see IMPORTANT below. Provide ventilation and clear area of children and other people.
Wear protective gear (safety glasses, rubber gloves, etc.). Use only clean, dry brooms, shovels and containers.
DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner.
Separate spilled material from original container.
NEVER return spilled material to original container.
NEVER put spilled material in any sewer or stream.
Small amounts of clean, spilled material may be put into your pool water. Check water chemistry to avoid imbalance. IMPORTANT: USE EXTREME CAUTION when attempting to clean up any spilled sanitizer or oxidizer that may have incompatible chemicals mixed together. Using the same precautions listed above, isolate the spilled material in a clean, dry container away from other stored chemicals, preferably outside the house or shed. Call your BioGuard® Dealer or the manufacturer for disposal instructions. IF ANY EVIDENCE OF A FIRE OCCURS, EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY, AND CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT!
If an emergency occurs involving swimming pool and spa sanitizers or oxidizers, IMMEDIATELY FOLLOW THE FIRST AID INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN ON THE PRODUCT LABEL.
The following suggestions may be appropriate: Remove contaminated clothing. Call a physician immediately. Skin contact: Immediately brush off excess chemical and flush with water for 15 minutes. Eye contact: Hold eye open and flush with water for 15 minutes. Ingestion: Immediately drink large quantity of water. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Inhalation: Move person into fresh air. Any clothing which has come in contact with pool chemicals should be washed before reuse. NOTICE: This information is provided to assist customers of BioLab, Inc., in the safe handling and storage of swimming pool and spa chemicals. This information is believed to be accurate but BioLab, Inc. gives no warranty, expressed or implied, with respect to such information and disclaims any responsibility or liability whatsoever in connection with the transportation, storage, handling, use or disposal of its products by the purchasers and users of such products. More Safety.